Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Multivariate Graph

I was slightly frustrated when I started this project.  I had decided what three variables I wanted to use in my graphs but I could not graph my information the way I wanted to in excel.  I tried various combinations within the table I had created but it was not graphing properly.  I made the decision to hand write my graphs after struggling in excel for quite some time.  I knew that if I graphed my information directly in my sketchbook I had a better chance of conveying my message.

The topic I chose to highlight was my quiz grades during Visual Communications.  The X axis is the grade of each quiz measured in percent.  The Y axis is the time spent on each quiz in minutes.  It was easy to remember how much time I had spent on each quiz.  There were not too many quizzes where I forgot.


The second graph I did was in correlation to the first graph because the X axis variable [from the first graph] was the Y axis variable in the second.  So, the Y axis was the quiz grade and the X axis was the week number.  The relationship I wanted to show was, the more time I spent on a quiz, the higher my grade was.  It should be expected that as the weeks continue my quiz grades did as well.  Usually my grades improve throughout the semester because I learn how the teacher teaches and become familiar with the style of the class.  These quizzes were different though.  Through my graphs it is clear that the week number had no bearing on how well I did, but the amount of time spent on each quiz did.  Since I had the internet and books at my disposal, I always used them for the quizzes.  The one exception to this is when I got a 40% on a quiz in week 9.  I had a lot of work that week and thought it would be a good idea to try a quiz without my tools.  It clearly was not beneficial.



I had a lot of trouble understanding this project initially.  I did not know what exactly I was supposed to do, but I do think I created an effective multivariate graph (at least I hope I did!).

No comments:

Post a Comment